What is IRIXYS?
- An International Research and Innovation Centre in Intelligent Digital Systems) created in March 2016 out of a partnership initiated by the departments of Computer Science of the University of Passau, Germany, the engineering school INSA Lyon, France and the Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy.
- A fully-integrated centre of excellence “without walls” preserving the contribution of each research team to their local research and academic ecosystems.
- A single identity and entity encompassing research activities carried out within the doctoral college MDPS in the fields of multimedia, data security as well as distributed and pervasive systems.
- An instrument for simplification of common and management procedures.
- Enhancing the visibility of the common research activities hold in the doctoral college.
- Establishing a joint research agenda and joint PhD-Track programme including co-supervised master and PhD thesis.
- Addressing emerging scientific issues and future requests from EU socio-economic actors.
- Intensifying common activities: workshops, summer schools, joint publications in international conferences, exchanges of students and staff (long and short term visits).
- Reinforcing and initiating cooperation with academic and industrial partners.
- Fostering innovative solution and applications.
The governance of IRIXYS occurs within 3 committees:
- Steering committee: supervisory and decision-making body of the Centre (set up in 2016)
- External Expert Advisory Board (EEAB): supervision of the activities of the Centre, definition of the development policy and agenda of the Centre (1st meeting in 2018)
- Scientific committee (including industrial representatives and external scientific experts): scientific and innovation agenda (set up in 2016)
This partnership began in 2008 with the establishment of a Franco-German doctoral college MDPS (Multimedia Distributed Pervasive Secure Systems). The consortium has been extended in 2010 to a third partner, the University of Milan (Università degli Studi di Milano).